Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Best Chicken Salad Recipe

I love chicken salad. Like, really, really like chicken salad. 


I order chicken salad pretty much where ever I go. I like when the chicken is shredded and the salad is more of a spread. I like it plain, with herbs, with slivered almonds, the list goes on and on.

A couple years ago on our honeymoon I read Mary Kay Andrews', who I met here, book called Little Bitty Lies. There was a fabulous chicken salad recipe in the book and I've been making it ever since. Be warned, it's time consuming and the ingredient list is a little different, but the end product is so worth it. (P.S. The name is odd too, but it makes sense if you read the book.)


Beyond the Grave Chicken Salad
(Recipe from Mary Kay Andrews' site)


5 lbs. chicken breasts
2 quarts water
parsley sprigs
1 large onion, quartered
1 tsp. seasoned salt
2 chicken bouillion cubes
In large pot, bring water and seasoning to boil, add chicken, lower heat and simmer 40 min. Remove from heat and shred chicken. (I like using my standup mixer to shred chicken like I did here)



Dressing:
1/2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
1 cup Duke’s mayonnaise (It must be Duke’s!!!)
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. celery seed
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
dash paprika
Blend well together.


For salad:
Toss shredded chicken with one cup of dressing and let stand at least one hour to marinate.
Combine remaining dressing with:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. honey
Add to chicken and mix well. 

*As a side note, I like to toss the chicken with all the dressing to start, then make another full batch of the dressing with the sour cream and honey for the second round. It just heightens the flavors. 



5 lbs. chicken breasts
2 quarts water
parsley sprigs
1 large onion, quartered
1 tsp. seasoned salt
2 chicken bouillion cubes
In large pot, bring water and seasoning to boil, add chicken, lower heat and simmer 40 min. Remove from heat, cool. Shred chicken and refrigerate.
- See more at: http://marykayandrews.com/recipes/test-recipe/#sthash.m3fm1ze3.dpuf

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I never thought of shredding the chicken using my mixture! Not to self. I have an awesome chicken salad recipe but it has grapes and nuts and heavy cream. So bad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken salad is one of my favorites too! This recipe sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Chicken salad is my absolute favorite, and I've been looking for a holy grail recipe for awhile!
    http://memandco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs