Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Erin Go Bragh


IRELAND

For those of you not obsessed with Ireland like me Erin Go Bragh means “Ireland Forever”. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day week I thought I would do a post about my love of Ireland. I've been slightly obsessed with Ireland from a young age. Not sure why, just always have. It’s really funny because most people respond with, “Oh you must have a strong Irish background then”. Ummm….no, not even close. I’m a strict ¾ German and ¼ Norwegian. I got the Norwegian last name which is obvious when you see my last name has a double AA in it and from the fact that strangers, and some close friends actually, have no idea how to pronounce it.
Anyway, even though I don’t have a drop of Irish blood in my veins I have always be drawn to the 40 shades of green and rolling hills of Ireland. The summer after I graduated high school my mom and I spent 10 days touring Ireland and it is still one of my very favorite trips of all time. I can’t wait to take Andy one day. The people, the sights, the folklore, the music, the accents (be still my beating heart), were all wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone. All my personal pictures from the trip are wrapped up in scrapbooks so I will leave you with some of my favorite internet shots. If Ireland is a place on your “to visit” list definitely make it a priority, it’s totally worth every penny. 



If you go to Ireland there is at least one tourist thing that you absolutely have to do and that's kiss the Blarney Stone. Below is a sign explaining why this stone is so special. 
 Something they don't tell you is that the Blarney Stone is in the weirdest place ever! You have to climb to the top of a castle, think tiny spiral staircase, then lay on your back and slide halfway over the edge to kiss a wall upside down. You are up at least a couple story high and there are a ton of people waiting so there is no time to sic yourself up. Someone does hold on to you, but to you really feel safe with that old guy holding on to you? I did it and I'm glad I can mark it off my list.


Have you been to Ireland or are you planning to go one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs