Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Here is my summer post

So again it’s been forever since I’ve written in my blog. Everyone else’s life always seems way more blog worthy than mine but here goings some of the stuff in my little world.

- Andy is still in Maryland doing his internship so I’ve gone up a couple times to visit him. We’ve had a lot of fun visiting family, finally touring the Utz potato chip factory, having crab feasts, and just laying around together which is what I miss most.

- The Olsgaard clan has switched their previous plans for travelling to Greece this summer to travelling to England, Scotland, and Wales. Between the Greek economy and the prospect of sightseeing in the terribly hot August weather we decided to put that off until another time and visit the United Kingdom instead. We leave next Friday and we are all crazy excited!

-I’m getting a chance to catch up with a bunch of my old friends lately and it’s been really great. You get to be so close with lots of people in college and then you just get caught up in work, errands, and grown up life that you can sometimes forget to keep those connections going. I’m going up to Greenville, SC this weekend to see a bunch of the ESA ladies, some of which I haven’t seen in years.

- The one thing that I’ve been pretty good with keeping up with is reading this summer. I’m sad that I haven’t been updating my What I’m Currently Reading section so I figured I’d make a real quick list of what I’ve read so far since my last post.
  • The Devil in the Junior League – A hilarious book about keeping up appearances and deciding what’s important in your life: marriage, money, friends, or just getting into the Junior League?
  • I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced – I found this book on a book club blog a long time ago and was intrigued by the true story of a 10 year old girl in the Middle East who was married off to a terrible man three times her age. Unlike most women in her position she fought, alone, for her freedom and won. If you want to read a little bit more about the true life story here is the New York Time article about Nujood. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/opinion/04kristof.html
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot – This is my second of the Shopaholic books and while they are entertaining I find the main character a little hard to feel sorry for since she rarely does anything to help herself in situations. I know some people swear by these books but I think they are just okay. (Please don’t hate me for saying so.)
  • Match Me If You Can – This was a cute chick lit novel. Take a sweet, inexperienced, match maker and put her with a sports agent who is looking for the trophy wife and what do you get? Well you have to read it to find out. ;)
  • The Gatecrasher – Shallow woman crashes funerals to find really wealth widowers. It sounds weird but it’s good. It’s by Madeleine Wickman who is the same author of the Shopaholic series however I like her Wickham stuff better.
  • Swapping Lives – Doesn’t the grass always look greener on the other side? Women are usually the one that have to choose between the single, career driven life or the stay at home, mother life. These two characters try an experiment to see which life is really greener.
  • Deep Dish – I can’t tell you how much I love this author. She is sweet, sassy, and southern to the born. It’s a complete chick lit novel but they are delicious and they always leave you wanting more.
  • Eat, Pray, Love – I’ve been meaning to read this for a long time. Again there are people who swear by this book but I wasn’t that impressed. I found the Italy and Indonesia travel tips exciting and the main conception of finding what makes you happy good however it was a lot more depressing that I was expecting and it dragged on in parts. I’m actually looking forward to seeing how the movie turns out. (Again I’m sorry if you loved the book.)
  • The Last Wife of Henry VIII – To ready myself for the family trip to England I thought it was fitting to brush up on the history of the Tudor family. Henry VIII was the crazy man who married six wives, and executed most of them, and broke away from the Catholic faith in order to do it. I’m sure there are many artist liberties taken with this novel however I love a chick lit book with a little smattering of history thrown in.
Well those are my thoughts for the moment. Hope everything is well out in blogger land.
Currently I’m reading: Icing on the Cupcake: Jennifer Ross. I saw this book while running through Target one day and thought it sounded too cute to pass up. There is no real substance as of yet but it’s easy to read and the best part is there is a different yummy cupcake recipe between each chapter. I’m excited to try one out.

1 comment:

  1. Your life is perfectly blog worthy (um, HELLO, UK & MD adventures!!), and I'm always standing by for updates. I hope we'll be able to sneak some time in together while we're both in Columbia for a little bit... and goodness knows we need to start planning our road trip to Topsail to visit Tracy here soon. :D

    And completely agreed - I hate that stupid "grown up" nonsense takes precedent over spending time with friends! The to do list is always going to be there... but you never know when you'll get to see somebody.

    Glad to hear your thoughts on Eat, Pray, Love... you're not the only one to have felt the way you did, so I'll probably just enjoy the movie (which looks really good :). But I'm dying to read about Nujood - I hear it's amazing.

    Glad to know your summer is going well and only going to get better!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs